Thursday 28 March 2013

Braving the cold

Today I braved the cold garage and spent most of my time working on the fiddle yard boards. I wanted to create a screen to mask the fiddle yards but, as my initial intention is to operate this layout from the front, still give me access without having to walk around to the back of the layout. My solution has been to mask off the first 12 inches and have a low front for the remaining 2' 6". I'm hoping this will help to focus the view onto the scenic boards and away from the other 50% of the layout. The other problem I've solved today is how and where to hang the control panel at the front of the layout. All things that probably should have been thought of at the initial planning stages of the layout....

At the end of the day I fetched the two scenic boards out of the house and erected the layout to see if it all looked OK.


I'm starting to feel a little happier with the layouts presentation for its first exhibition. There is still a lot to do but thankfully it has been advertised as a work in progress. I'd better get back to making trees this evening...

9 comments:

  1. First exhibition...? Where and when Ian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Richard. I'm being broken in gently at a local 2 day show in Cleethorpes on the 11th and 12th May.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That loos great. A whole world of its own in there. Amazing what a black front does for presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mikkel. I was contemplating a different colour, green or brown, but decided to play it safe and go with black. Black does create a good stage set surround for the two scenic boards though. The missis has promised to make a black curtain to hide the legs, which should finish off the presentation nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suggest use material which is fire proof - some venues insist on this I believe now. Worth checking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reminder Richard

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is looking really good. You'll have to keep us posted on your exhibiting, if you get up to the West Yorkshire area, I'll definitely come and see you. I went to my first major modelling exhibition in York yesterday and it was fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed the York show this year, would have liked to have see Bramblewick again... If the Tedethy goes on another outing somewhere I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the encouraging comments lnrmodels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It would be good to meet up James, hope you can make it

    ReplyDelete