Sunday 5 March 2023

Tredethy Wharf's future.

 Though Tredethy Wharf has been a good introduction to Scalefour modelling it has not been a layout that I’ve been tempted to operate at home. When set up at home it’s normally just there as a static diorama collecting dust. That said I have enjoyed taking it to shows along with helping out on other layouts at shows. I’ve become to realise making an exhibition of myself in front of a layout is a rewarding experience. Meeting up with friends who help, the meeting of fellow modellers along with the public who ask questions, or just seeing peoples/children’s facial expressions makes the whole event worthwhile.

I feel all that remains for me to do with Tredethy Wharf, apart from a little bit more titivation, is to build more stock for different era’s. These might be late 1960s Blue class 08s with clay hoods, even possibly consider 1930s stock. I’ve had many complementary comments along with much encouragement to keep Tredethy Wharf available for exhibitions. But I know I have much more to learn, more skills to conquer along with some mental barriers to cross

Rospeath Lane was been design to give me these challenges but it is a layout that has not really been designed as an exhibition layout. With two main baseboards being 4’6”x3’ it will be difficult to handle and transport by myself. By the time it’s in a state to exhibit I’ll probably be to infirm to manage it. Even though progress has stagnated during the last 18 months I’m still very committed to continuing with Rospeath Lane but only as a home based layout.

So what can I build to continue and expanding by exhibiting experience?

Back in April 2020 I posted a blog titled ‘Deciding on the next project’At that time all five were designed to fit in the ‘Man Cave’ at the previous house. In revisiting these ideas one stands out more than the others as a possible exhibition layout. Then to add further incentive to this idea I had the opportunity to purchase, from the late Jon Lord’s collection of rolling stock, an Adams O2 converted to P4

I took this as a sign that the project to look at in more detail as a successor to Tredethy Wharf is Boscarne Junction. It will follow on nicely from Tredethy Wharf, keeping in the family so to speak. All the rolling stock I have build and likely to build for Tredethy Wharf will potentially be used on Boscarne Junction. More importantly it will give me many new challenges to overcome especially represent a real location.

Planning and ideas are continuing to develop so further thoughts will be posted on my new Boscarne Junction blog.

With all the above said I'm definitely going to keep Tresthy Wharf available for exhibitions as it will dovetail nicely with Boscarne Junction. Also while I'm still planning and building Boscrane the two scenic boards will be an excellent test bed for rolling stock. I say this as there are a few minor problems with the track and I hope I'll improve my track building on Boscarne Junction.

No comments:

Post a Comment